• MS Waikato was established in 1963, and has been providing support services in the region for over 50 years.
• We work closely with the neurology department at Waikato Hospital, receiving referrals for MS and HD and providing support at the fortnightly clinics. Please follow the link for more information on this collaboration.
• We have a client base of over 300.
• Services are provided throughout the greater Waikato and Coromandel regions.
• We employ 3 part-time staff, two providing Client Services and an Administration Manager, all staff are qualified.
• The trust is governed by a board of Trustees, the Trustees are all professional individuals, and give their time in a voluntary capacity.
• MS Waikato is a not for profit organisation and is dependent on fundraising and the generosity of organisations and individuals to provide continuity of services.
• We are affiliated with the MS Society of New Zealand and are the only organisation operating in our region providing these support services.
Support - professional support for clients including home visits and support at MS and HD clinics
Education - Organising forums and information sessions for members and health professionals.
Service Coordination - Knowledge of resources and referrals to health & disability services.
Information - Provision of information specific to the needs of people with neurological conditions.
Advocacy - Making submissions and attending forums on behalf of members.
Support Groups - Co-ordination of local support groups throughout the region.
Exercise Groups - Exercise classes, where the individual needs of each client is catered for by professional staff.
Awareness - Increasing awareness in the community of neurological conditions.
Newsletters - Publication/distribution of MS Waikato Trust newsletter.
Carers Support - Support to carers through workshops and service co-ordination.
Library - Books specific to MS, and HD for members to loan, no charge.
Social Events - Organising of social events for members.